This session brought together two highly acclaimed writers of Sri Lankan origin who live and work abroad – one in Australia, one in the USA – but whose work is profoundly connected to their Sri Lankan origins.
Both writers skillfully evoke the way in which very diverse experiences of life may be both underlined and erased by overarching similarities based on origin and identity. Nayomi’s Island of A Thousand Mirrors and Shankari’s The Sun-God invite complex discussions about what makes us who we are; the discussion will include but not be limited to, these two works in the respective author’s oeuvre.
(Nayomi Munaweera’s participation in the Festival is made possible by the generous sponsorship of Sri Lanka Telecom.)
- Event: A Duet, moderated by Georgina Godwin
- Participant: Nayomi Munaweera & Shankari Chandran
- Location: Hall de Galle, Galle Fort
- Date: Thursday, Jan 25th, 2018
- Time: 12:00 noon – 1:00 pm
Photography by The Fotocube