About the Prize
The Edward Lear Prize for Poetry will be presented annually (up to 10 years) by the Owl and the Pussycat Hotel (Thalpe, Sri Lanka) at the Galle Literary Festival to the poet of the best – in the opinion of judges – eligible poem in the English language.
- 1st Prize … LKR 250,000.00
- 2nd Prize … LKR 150,000.00
- 3rd Prize … LKR 75,000.00
The finalists for the prize will be invited to attend the award ceremony which will be hosted during the Fairway Galle Literary Festival.
Learn more at the official Edward Lear Prize for Poetry website: http://www.edwardlearprizeforpoetry.com/
“They dined on mince, and slices of quince,
Which they ate with a runcible spoon;
And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,
They danced by the light of the moon,
They danced by the light of the moon.”
Edward Lear (1812-1888)
This poem was a favourite childhood poem of mine and as an adult I often get pleasure in reading his poems again and again, particularly The Owl and the Pussycat.
In fact I loved it so much I named my little hotel in Thalpe, Owl and the Pussycat.
Every line in the poem reverberated with the space I had created and was thrilled to dedicate my first Sri Lankan project to this wonderful poet.
I hope this prize will enable young aspiring poets to find inspiration from his works and create something unique and special that is a celebration of this life.
Chair of the Edward Lear Prize for Poetry
2018 Rules and Submissions for Entry
- Open only to citizens of Sri Lanka (or Sri Lankan passport holders).
- Entries should be an unpublished single poem, or a collection of up to 5 poems.
- Each poem should have a minimum of 200 words and the total of 5 poems should not exceed 1200 words.
- The theme should follow in the vein of Edward Lear’s Nonsensical Poems, bringing about a feeling of lightness and optimism to the world in which we live.
- Only the first 200 entries will be accepted.
- Age 18 to 30 years.
- The Edward Lear Poetry Award 2018 will be open for entries from 1st September 2017.
- Entry form available at: www.edwardlearprizeforpoetry.com
- Entries close on 10th November 2017.
- Judging will take place from 15th November through 15th December 2017.
- The decision of the judges will be final.
- Winners will have to submit a recent photograph and a brief CV for placement on the website. This information will remain on the website for 3 years.
- For any further information email to firstname.lastname@example.org
View Entry Form and Sign up: http://www.edwardlearprizeforpoetry.com/entry-form-and-information/
Information about the winners will remain on the Edward Lear Prize for Poetry website for three years along with their photos and poems.
We wish the applicants all the best!