About the Prize
The Edward Lear Prize for Poetry will be presented annually (up to 10 years) by the Owl and the Pussycat Hotel (Thalpe, Sri Lanka) at the Galle Literary Festival to the poet of the best – in the opinion of judges – eligible poem in the English language.
- 1st Prize … LKR 250,000.00
- 2nd Prize … LKR 150,000.00
- 3rd Prize … LKR 75,000.00
The finalists for the inaugural prize will be invited to attend the award ceremony which will be hosted during the Fairway Galle Literary Festival 2017 ( January 11th -15th 2017).
Learn more at the official Edward Lear Prize for Poetry website: http://www.edwardlearprizeforpoetry.com/
“They dined on mince, and slices of quince,
Which they ate with a runcible spoon;
And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,
They danced by the light of the moon,
They danced by the light of the moon.”
Edward Lear (1812-1888)
This poem was a favourite childhood poem of mine and as an adult I often get pleasure in reading his poems again and again, particularly The Owl and the Pussycat.
In fact I loved it so much I named my little hotel in Thalpe, Owl and the Pussycat.
Every line in the poem reverberated with the space I had created and was thrilled to dedicate my first Sri Lankan project to this wonderful poet.
I hope this prize will enable young aspiring poets to find inspiration from his works and create something unique and special that is a celebration of this life.
Chair of the Edward Lear Prize for Poetry
Rules and Submissions for Entry
- Open only to citizens of Sri Lanka (or Sri Lankan passport holders).
- Entries should be an unpublished single poem or a collection of up to 5 poems.
- Each poem should have a minimum of 200 words and the total of 5 poems should not exceed 1200 words.
- The theme should follow in the vein of Edward Lear’s Nonsensical Poems, bringing about a feeling of lightness and optimism to the world in which we live.
- Only the first 200 entries will be accepted.
- Age 18 to 30 years.
- The Edward Lear Poetry award 2017 will be open for entries from 1st September 2016.
- Entry form available at http://www.edwardlearprizeforpoetry.com
- Entries close on 31st October 2016.
- For any further information email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The decision of the 5 international judges will be final.
- Winners will have to submit a recent photograph and a brief CV for placement on the website. This information will remain on the website for 3 years.
View Entry Form and Sign up: http://www.edwardlearprizeforpoetry.com/entry-form-and-information/
Information about the winners will remain on the Edward Lear Prize for Poetry website for three years along with their photos and poems.
We wish the applicants all the best!